Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Arab in America

I ran across a few tweets from someone I met recently in Doha that has put a spin on my reporting. While Qatari Adventures gives my take on what it's like to be an American in Arab lands, Ramy flips that around by giving his take of America while on the road in L.A. ~ California, that is. Ok, so Texans don't quite count California as a true representation of America, but we won't tell Ramy any better. These witticisms, if you may, hit on a few striking differences in our cultures.

On with the tweets...


One of the many things I'll miss about Doha...saying "fill'er up", just like we did in the olden days in America. No, Ramy, those gas stations were open. Now, get off your duff and do it yourself.

I love this one. This is truly one of my first complaints when arriving in Doha. Back off people, give me my space is what my eyes were glazed with on my first trip to the local mall. In America, there is a transparent two to three foot buffer zone that envelopes us and no one crosses into that zone without an "Excuse me", or an "Oh, I'm soooo sorry"....well, if you live in Texas, anyway. Kudos for picking up on that quirk so quickly, Ramy, and if you value that air that you breathe, I suggest you not breathe others', unless you've practiced up on your apologies.

LOOOOOL, definitely a no fly zone here, dear. This tactic will fly no where in America, not even California. Open your car door, get your lazy patooty out of your car and help yourself. Oh, if only that concept could catch on in Qatar.

Yep, no interaction with the fuzz here. You better be checking the MOI traffic website to see if you've been flashed by the many cameras around town or you just might not catch that flight out of Doha as you planned.

No reason to worry about hiring someone to close your criminal record here. Qatar will handle it for you. It's called deportation.

No doubt Ramy's running into as many quirky things in L.A. as I am in Doha. It's eye opening to see America through an Arab's eyes. Looking forward to more tweets as his trip unfolds. Safe travels!

You can follow Ramy here @ramykhalaf

To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...