Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Torch

Kristi's last meal request before heading back to Texas was to check out the newest and only revolving restaurant in Qatar, 360. Not only does it gives diners a 360˚view of the city, or as far as the haze will allow, it revolves so they don't have to. This fancy schmancy diner is located on the 47th floor of The Torch Hotel in Aspire Zone. Yeah, you didn't know that either, did you? That 2006 Asian Games torch has been converted to a 5-Star, 167 room luxury hotel. Now, who says Doha doesn't recycle? Be ready for some early bird specials, as they are hoping to be ready to take reservations November 1st. So if you haven't booked your Eid holiday, you may have a vacation option right here in your own backyard. Fast forward. After lunch, the manager gave Kristi and myself a grand tour of the facility. I wasn't prepared for pics, or rather I didn't want to pull my bazooka camera out of my purse and embarrass Kristi, so my limited mobile snaps will have to suffice. Each room and/or suite is equipped with "mood" lighting. So, what color are you? Just dial it up and voila. Cute, novel, but maybe a bit over the top. The pool is located on the umpteenth floor on that protruding platform in the tower. Hmm, I've been known to be a bit of a scaredy cat. I'll pass. They have great social gathering areas, very casual and chic, to munch on hors d'oeuvres and sip on juice. Mocktail zone only. This is not The Pearl, gang, and it is government owned. The spa and gym are state of the art with Internet browsing on the workout machines. Oh, and free Internet everywhere in the hotel, including the dining area even for non overnight guests. Score. My intention was to review the restaurant, but I've blabbed on too long. Another day. Inshallah.

This is the steam room in the spa. I had a flashback of our visit to The Golden Palace in Bangkok a few years back...Intense.

Birds eye view of Doha from 47 floors up

To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Someone that was here as Asian Games organisers asked me if the Eternal Flame is still burning at The Torch. No, I think it was extinguished soon after the closing ceremony. Funny, it was always touted as the Eternal Flame. Hey, that birds eye view tells a tale doesn't it? Imagine the same view in 5 & 10 years time!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...