Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lighting Follow Up

I really had full intentions of "retiring" this building, but it keeps coming back to haunt me. David and I were walking the corniche last night when he noticed something a little different in the night skyline. "Look, your building is lit up", he says. Haha ~ my building. Yeah, you know the one. Well the question has come back to haunt me...

"Tell us, does the "penis" building light up at night? Curious minds want to know!"
...Karen
Jan 15, 2010



After a little detective work, my answer to Karen was an emphatic...


"NO
, it does NOT light up at night."

Sybil
March 14, 2010

Well times have changed and an update is in order. I somehow was left off the guest list for its "official lighting" ceremony, understandably so, I suppose, for as much grief as I've dished on it. Love it or hate it, the building is a great conversation piece. And now that it's in lights, it's starting to grow on me.

West Bay ~ Doha, Qatar
April 19, 2011
To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I'm really excited that I just found your blog! I taught English in Taiwan for a year and a half and now I'm teaching English in Prague. I'm flirting with the idea of somewhere in the Middle East next but wanted to know more about life there. I'm sure this will help.
    Oh and just for good measure, I'm a Texan too! I live all over East Texas and graduated from UT 2 years ago.
    Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jimmie ~ Prague?! I hear it's beautiful. My husband and I have been seriously talking about visiting there this fall during the EID (Muslim) holidays. As for as you teaching in the Middle East, Qatar is a very comfortable place to land. Everyone speaks English and most comforts of home are available. It's a true melting pot of cultures, which makes it quite interesting. If you are really entertaining the idea, email me with all your concerns and questions! Good luck :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to the Corniche last night and the darn thing wasn't lit up!?! Did you hit a magic time window where it was?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keri~we were there from about 5:45 to 6:40 LAST night, again, and the lights were on when we got there (even though it wasn't noticeable since we still had daylight). By the time we left it was lit up like a Christmas tree! :P

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...