Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Sunny Reflections

After several days of rain, I woke up to the most beautiful Doha weather ever yesterday morning. I donned my gym clothes, hat, sunglasses, and iPod for an afternoon (ok, an hour) of walking/running on the corniche. John Denver was blaring in my ears, "Sunshine on My Shoulders Makes Me Happy", as I was singing the same out loud oblivious to any passersby giving strange looks my way. JD quickly transitioned to "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" with the lyrics "life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle". Truer words have never been spoken as I sit here in Doha Qatar, sipping my morning coffee while watching camel racing live on the tube (unfortunately with the rain returning). I look back to my hectic life just prior to moving to the Middle East and wonder just how this happened. We're going on four years here and a day doesn't pass without that question crossing my mind. Growing up, I always heard the expression "never look a gift horse in the mouth".* Do you think that applies to camels, as well? Nonetheless, I'll continue to embrace this adventure one day at a time and enjoy the ride while reflecting on "Poems, Prayers and Promises" ...

how long it's been since yesterday, what about tomorrow?



Poems, Prayers & Promises ~ John Denver

*Origin of phrase

To read or leave comments, please click on the comments link below. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. John Denver? Wow, that brings back memories of hanging out at your house singing into a tape recorder. JD will always remind me of you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still love love love his music. Makes me happy, sad, and reflective. I'm so sorry he was taken so young :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you must have the same album I do. The actual album is at Karen's apt in FW. Funny how I recognized the order of the songs. Do you have "Polka Dots and Moonbeams?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son made a C.D. for me...I had a collection of albums. Loaded it to my iPod & love reminiscing with it. I had never even heard of Polka Dots & Moonbeams, but I just 'youtubed" it...love it! We need to make a Doha Ladies event soon!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...