Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, September 14, 2009

DTFF: Coming to a Theater Near You

For those that haven't heard, The Tribeca Film Festival is spilling over into Qatar come this October. Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani (easy for me to say) was joined by Robert Deniro  last November at Doha's own, Museum of  Islamic Arts, to officially announce the event. Well, the time has arrived.  My Facebook and Twitter pages have been a buzz with one minute film clips spreading the word about the approaching   Doha Tribeca Film Festival  taking place October 29th thru November 1st.  A few of the clips are so stereotypical of Qataris that I had to share.  The "Blackberry Flu" short film is dead on when it comes to Qataris and their mobile devices.  I know that Americans are obsessed with their communications devices, but trust me, we have nothing on the Qataris.  They bring the word "multitasking" to a new level.



This next clip is based on a famous scene in "Taxi Driver" starring Robert Deniro.  I love Mr. Deniro.  I'm not sure what rock I was under when this movie was playing.  Oh, I see the movie was released in 1976.  I was still in high school watching movies like Silver Streak (Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor) and The Bad News Bears  (Walter Mathau & Tatum Oneal).   My intellectual level hadn't gotten to the likes of Taxi drive, yet.  I'm still waiting.  I love the way this clip spoofs the "cool" exterior of the typical Qatari male.  No hate mail, please, for using the not allowed term of "typical".  It is what it is. 



thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Those were funny! I loved it when Travolta did the "You talking to me" skit in Saturday Night Fever also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great videos, Syb. And R.I.P. Patrick Swayze; that SNL skit is classic!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...