Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, August 10, 2009

The King of Broadway Delivers




Let's see...where did I leave off? Ah, we had just visited the hallowed ground of 9/11. It was late afternoon and we were starving, so we popped into (I'm embarrassed to say) Burger King. Of all the eateries in NY, you say?! We were starving and a whopper was really sounding good around that time. Well, that was until we noticed the calorie content listed on the menu..."make mine a junior, please". Apparently New York has some kind of calorie law requiring some restaurants to list those evil numbers just to take the fun out of eating. We headed back to the hotel to get ready for our Broadway outing to see The Lion King with my Manhattan resident nephew, Kevin. For, myself, being a self proclaimed musical hater, this production could not get any better. The costumes, the acting, the singing, and the set were absolutely amazing. It was well worth the loan that I had to take out to get the tickets. I was crying like a baby in the opening scene as they sang the Circle of Life. If you ever get the chance to see this one, don't pass it up. We strolled through Times Square after the show and wondered just how much their electric bill is. I had a message on my Facebook when I got home that one of my classmates from high school saw me and the girls there. He didn't approach me for fear that it wasn't really me and that he'd make a fool of himself. He later saw on my FB page that I was in NY. Is that crazy or what?! On our way back to the hotel, we grabbed a hot dog from a street vendor...another one of those NY experiences that we just couldn't pass up. The next morning we were up and at'em at 6:00am to head to the Jason Mraz concert that NBC's Today Show was sponsoring. We decided to grab us some fast food breakfast first so by the time we got back to Rockerfeller Plaza the place was a mob scene. We could hear him singing, but couldn't see him. The girls decided that if that were the case, it was just as well to listen to his c.d. and head back to the hotel and get a nap in. Next up in our NYC capers: The Chicks Do China Town


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a great idea. I wish some of our fast food joints would get on board and do the same. Might make me think harder before ordering that Big Mac!

    Can't wait to get there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a real eye opener to see all those calories in big print! You and Ed are going to have a blast...call me before you go!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...