Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Dohaland

I sure could be diggin' that Snow City that our friends at ILoveQatar conjured up a few months back. With Qatar's hottest May on record since 1993, it would be feeling really good about right now. Since that's not feasible, the next best thing would be taking a cool shower for relief, but a tweet ran across my twitter the other day that said it all. "You know what's hotter than the hot water in Qatar? The cold water". Let me tell you, that twitterer wasn't just whistling Dixie. That brings me to today's subject, construction. Ok, so that transition didn't work after getting off subject and going through the hot weather tirade. I was supposed to work my way from Snow City, but things ran amok from there. Anywho, the ever evolving Doha doesn't seem to be slowing down like its self assigned rival of Dubai. Dohaland is the latest project being launched with a price tag of QR20 billion. Its goal is to bring people back to the heart of the city where the Qataris lived until the 1950's. These plans even include an underground city that is climate controlled providing relief from the heat. Innovation over here has no limits.



It's really scary watching the construction around here. There has to be more accidents than the newspapers report. You rarely see safety harnesses or precautions being practiced. The other day I saw a guy lay a beam on the third floor between two villas being constructed and walk across to the next one.


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...