Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Heir Apparent Cup




David and I rode out to Al Sadd stadium yesterday evening to checkout all the hoopla associated with the Heir Apparent Cup. I didn't buy the $2.75 tickets ahead of time thinking it would be no problem to get them at the gate. Apparently a lot of other people thought the same thing, and you know how David is about lines. So, instead of actually attending the game, we just strolled around the stadium and snapped a few pics of the "outer" happenings. What we saw upon approaching the stadium was a sea of white thobes clamoring to get in. Qataris love and support their "football", or soccer, as we Americans call it. David was definitely in the minority and me being a woman was way out of my league. Football enthusiasts sported their team colors and even had custom team colored thobes for the event. There were tons of decorated vehicles on hand, a custom Dodge truck that David said looked to be set up for duning , and an army contraption that appeared as though it could clear most anything that it met in its path just in case the Heir Apparent had to make a quick getaway. As we were leaving, there was a Lebanese band belting out "Oh Suzanna" to be followed by "When the Saints Go Marching In". It felt like we were at a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade. I was really disappointed that we didn't hang around for the game as I was really feeling really lucky and they were giving away 10 Toyota vehicles, 10 quad bikes, 10 jet bikes and 200 or so other great prizes. I mean, seriously, does this country have a few bucks or what? According to the paper, the game turned out to be a nail biter, going into overtime and a shootout. Qatar Sports Club prevailed over Al Rayyan which may have been a disappointment to the crowds as the Al Rayyan colors way outnumbered the Qatar Sports Club colors in the crowd. Until next time...

thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...