Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Corniche Walking Series Revived


The Corniche Walking Series has been revived. It's not that we're not walking it any longer, it's just been a while since I've reported sightings. I lugged my camera along last night on our five mile walk and have the bruise on my right back hip to prove it (that's what my camera was bouncing off of as we kept our brisk pace). Before we even got out of the car to start our walk, David spotted Qatar man cruising the corniche road. After I hollered out the window to him a Texas sized Woohoo!!, he gave me his usual thumbs up. I love that man. We started our stroll and I thought about mom worrying about me walking the corniche. She knows what a klutz I can be and has this fear that I'm going to fall and break a hip or something. Not to worry mom, there aren't too many obstructions to trip me up. Well, we won't count the nice sized hole that has been there for months that I just automatically sense, be it day or night. We ran across the new bike patrol EMS that Doha has introduced. They've been put into effect in high traffic areas where sometimes these EMT's on bikes can attend to people faster than traditional ambulances. Next whizzing by us was a roller blader, but he wasn't skating on the paved corniche. He opted for the eighteen inch corniche wall. Ok, maybe its two feet wide, you'd have to give me a minimum of five feet and then I still wouldn't do it. Geez, these people are insane. As David said, it wasn't his first rodeo. As we were winding our walk down we ran across several guys walking around on flexible stilts. When they saw that I wanted to take their picture they started bouncing up and down crazily on them, not realizing that in the darkness I wouldn't be able to capture the motion in a still pic, but I'll show you the results just the same.










After our walk, we broke tradition from our usual Bennigan's trip and paid Asian Traditional Restaurant a visit. Next time, maybe we've decided we'll just grab a sandwich and juice from the juice stall at the corniche's end. I haven't informed Dave, but I plan on partaking of the meal on one of the dhows for a nice night cruise. I'll let you know how that goes. Ciao!



thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



1 comment:

  1. keep the good work up Sybil :) .. like it so much ..
    For the dhows it costs QR30 to QR35 per person. Depends on the mood of them. Sometimes it cost from QR20 to QR25, but only for 30mins. i did it once with 10 people for one hour and was for QR250 .. we had our pastries and gave the Captain lots of food at the end. you know Qataries order more than the capacity in case of finding a friend on the way, we can invite him.. LOL .. keep bargain them and u will get good price for an hour trip :D ..

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...