Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Back From the Races




We're back back from the Red Bull Air Races, but I'm really dragging my patooty. Getting away for the weekend just breeds laziness for me and I was on such a roll. Abu Dhabi was great and we were both very happy with the outcome of our hotel choice this time. The Sheraton Resort was definitely several cuts above our last stay in the UAE's fair city with an unbelievable breakfast spread that gives it five stars in my little black book of hotels. It didn't hurt that they upgraded us to their "club" level. I'm not sure what that actually entailed, but a good P.R. stunt, nonetheless. Abu Dhabi's corniche was the perfect setup for the air show. I hate to say it, but their corniche beats Doha's hands down. They have the same beautiful palm tree shaded grassy areas and bricked walk ways, but Abu Dhabi boasts an expansive beach area to boot. The "dress code" was so much more relaxed than in Qatar, not that we truly have one. It's a pretty much self enforced ruling according to the penetrating stares one gets (or gives) if they aren't covered up as much as one feels they should be. The air show itself was a lot of fun and I can't help but believe that Qatar will soon be jumping on board and bringing it to the area. The winner of 2009's first race of the season was Hannes Arch of Austria, with Brit, Paul Bonhamme, coming up second. We didn't hang around for the trophy presentations or fireworks as we had a plane to catch. I'll probably post a few more pics tomorrow, as I have hundreds to cull through. Catch y'all later!


thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!



1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! If only we had been able to get Ella & Morgan's residence permits a few days earlier . . .

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...