Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, January 16, 2009

Pass the Bread & Cheese, Please


The phone rang and it went down something like this: "Hey guys, why don't come over Thanksgiving evening for some taco soup?". I thought to myself, sounds awesome, rather Texan. "Sure thing, what do you want me to bring?" "How 'bout some bread and cheese". "You bet, see ya Thursday night". I hang up the phone thinking bread and cheese? What the heck does that mean? I'm just a Texas gal that's newly transplanted to Doha, neither being exactly the culture capital of the world. I didn't live in Italy for a year like some of my cohorts that have been immersed in the ways of the world, granted I have come a long way from Groves, Texas. Ok, so maybe you don't have to live in Italy to know about bread and cheese, but if it aint Cheez Whiz on a Ritz, it's beyond me. So I overcame my shortcomings, stood up to the task and made buenellos and threw some cheese cubes in a fruit salad and called it bread and cheese. Thank God, I was among close friends so that I could pull that one off and still save face. It was the joke of the evening and much further, as my Thanksgiving hostess presented me with a can of cheese at high tea last week, which she purchased from Walmart while visiting the states for Christmas. It will come in handy tonight as we have a dinner date with friends at the pink villas. I've bought me some Ritz Crackers at none other than Riviera Grocery Mart to go along with my canned cheese. It's high time that I've brought a little culture of my own to Doha.

thoughts
To read comments, please click on the thoughts box above. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...