Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dune Bashing or Sand Blasting?


Can I pick the perfect day to go to the desert or what. It was 60 degrees with a total haze, 20mph sustained winds and gusts up to 37mph. That, added with sand equals the term "sandblasting". And boy, did we get sandblasted. We still had fun, but my friend, Gina, who calls me the local tour guide surely is having second thoughts about my services. She sent her husband, Michael, and dad, Brad, along with us for the excursion. Michael's left arm (nor his left ear) may never be the same as I found my fingernails bearing down into it quite a few times to keep me upright. Sorry, Michael! You can't travel 8000 miles and not ride a camel, but I had to coerce Ryan into riding one. He looked like a true Bedouin with the sand flying all around him. Our caravan made it to the Inland Sea, but Saudia Arabia was barely visible in the weather conditions. We all frolicked a bit, yes, including myself, and didn't let the "breeze" keep us from enjoying the sunless day. Bottom line: It was a great desert trek with the elements just adding an interesting twist. Our skilled drivers, Hamad and Nasir, gave us a run for our money and as usual, we held their tip money until we were dropped alive back at our meeting point.




















thoughts
To read comments, please click on the post title at the top. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...