Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, November 3, 2008

A Vener... Who?


Nothing like hitting the streets of Doha to invigorate creativity and trust me, creativity abounds in this city. If I could take pictures of just 10% of the funny things I see, I could make a best seller coffee table book. Remember the green bike? Well, it's gone but another mode of cool transportation has taken its place. By the way, I saw the green bike a few days later with a cute little Pakastani man riding it in his thobe, although he didn't quite match the cute little flower on the front. As usual, I couldn't get the pic flying down the road. Anyway, I don't know anything about motor bikes, but his one looks like it's either already extinct or on the classics list. Right after I saw this one I saw another one with a really cool Arabic looking serape over the seat. Arabic serape...is that an oxymoron? Moving on. As I was sitting at a red light ignoring the honking from the gentleman behind me who was upset that I didn't creep up when there was an eight foot space in front of me, I spotted a doctor's office with a specialty I hadn't seen before. I thought to myself, "wow, have I been under a rock, I've never heard of a venereologist." When I googled it later, I found that it is what you think it is and they apparently are common on this side of the world. One more piece of trivia before I sign off...I had no idea that Ray Stevens sang the Witch Doctor. With all I've learned this morning, I must've had a V-8.


Adventure follow up: Ok, maybe I really should have had a V-8. Read on:

The artist who had a #1 hit in 1958 with "The Witch Doctor," was David Seville; the same David Seville that about a year later was all over the radio airwaves (and soon TV too) yelling "ALVIN!" (and winning a Grammy in 1959).

To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then enter comment in the box. Post comment. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...