Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Rome and Venice


We arrived in Rome, not so bright eyed and bushy tailed at 6:05 a.m, Wednesday morning. We walked to our hotel from the train station in a roundabout way, but at least we made it. The clerk apologized to us that our room was not ready yet. I didn't even realize that there was a possibility of that. We just wanted them to hold our luggage so we could head to St Peter's Basilica for our audience with the Pope. After receiving directions and luggage in check, we were hitting the pavement. I hate to rat on her, but Regina was dozing off while the Pope was speaking. Actually what that did was to take the pressure off me, so that I could nod off as well. Please remember that there was NO sleeping on the plane and the exhaustion was setting in by the time the Pope arrived. After a two hour siesta we hit the streets of Rome, unfortunately in the rain. Despite it, we covered a lot of ground and decided that there was no way we were going to recover the calories that we burned. We were tired to the bone when we hit the hay that night. The next morning we got in line to tour the Vatican Museum and St Peter's Basilica and what a line it was. That picture in front of the columns was just a small portion of the line, but thankfully it moved quickly. We thought this tour would be a low key, easy, non walking thing, but we were dead wrong. I never knew buildings could cover so much territory. I swear we walked five miles in those buildings. They were more massive than we could imagine. That evening we spent hours walking the streets of Rome, most of them not having a clue as to where we were. We arrived in Venice this afternoon via train. We've only been here a few hours and have fallen in love with it. It exudes charm. We were lucky enough to have a man see us with our rolling luggage in a back alley look for our hotel. He kindly pointed it out for us.
Thank goodness, because no where on it was the name of it. See the alley way? That's the way to
our hotel. Scary, huh? Well, scarier is the price you have to pay for that hotel with no name on it. That's it on the left and that's Regina and me standing in front of it. Ok, so I purposely left out the front door of the hotel to make it look a little worse, if that is possible. Don't get me wrong, we are loving it here. Tomorrow we'll head out to St Mark's Square to see what's happening. Ciao!





























To leave a comment, click on the title of the post and then enter text in box.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you two are having a grand time. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear from you...was beginning to worry when I hadn't heard from you and a few days and then I talked to dad who of course hadn't heard from you either! I miss you a lot! I love the picture of you and Aunt Regina in front of the big fountain! Wish me and Kristi were there too! I Love you! enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...