Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Remember, Feet First!



I spoke with Shea yesterday and he was happy to inform me that he had survived. Little did I know that he was due for a "refresher" jump that he has to do every now and then to keep his jump status and more importantly jump "pay" with the army. He said it wasn't the softest landing, but a relief I'm sure to land in one piece. He also said that one of his fellow paratroopers bit his tongue when he landed and had blood all over his face. Another one ended up with a concussion. I told him that I was happy that I didn't know ahead of time that he was jumping and he informed me that he didn't know he was either. They told him the day of. Less stress for him I said...."oh, I had plenty of stress". I guess you don't need a lot of time to get worked up over jumping out of a perfectly good airplane hundreds of feet in the air. He took the picture above with his cell phone before he jumped. He told me that he's bringing his camera next time and videoing the jump. That'll make a nice youtube! Anyway, congrats Shea!

P.S. I don't know if I told y'all that Shea's language was switched from Arabic to French on the day he reported to language training. His projected completion date is some time in mid July. I guess that's a relief, but I'm not so sure. Instead of the deserts of Afghanistan or Iraq, now he'll probably be in the jungles of the Congo. Oh, that's right, he assures me that wherever he ends up, he'll be at an American Embassy sporting a suit and tie. I'm not so sure that I would want to be stationed at an American Embassy anywhere in the world.

P.S.S. I've been corrected. Shea found out the day before his jump as Kayla has informed me...see comments :)

1 comment:

  1. i believe "freaking out" not "stressing out" is much more appropriate for this circumstance. I got a lovely instant message from Shea yesterday...no editing done to it: SK4342 (1:00:49 PM): i'm jumping tomorrow!!
    SK4342 (1:01:01 PM): help!!

    haha ooooh Shea...I'm so glad you made it!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...