Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What's in a Picture?





Reading my friend, Karen's blog this morning is giving me the itch to get started on another picture project. A few weeks ago, I put a grouping of canvas pictures together that I took while we were in London last fall. I decided that there's no better souvenir than to capture our memories on film...or digital and display them. It all started when David picked up my camera and shot a picture of Kristi and me walking through Green Park in London. He never touches my camera for fear of my raised right eyebrow that is so well known within my family. It was a great shot, I must say, and David was very proud when I had it enlarged and framed. Soon after that the idea of a collage was born. Karen has now made a beautiful collage of her own (top left) from pictures that she took while visiting France. She and her husband, Ed, actually lived in Paris for the planning stages of the project that David is working on here in Doha. What happened is that after she moved from Paris to here, Ed bought her a ridiculously awesome camera for Christmas (surprise!). She had been disappointed that she had missed out on so many photo ops, but lo and behold, Ed comes home one day from work announcing that he's being sent back to Paris for a week on business. Some people have all the luck. Karen grabbed the opportunity and her new camera to make the trek with Ed. Anyway, the results on her wall are wonderful. So now, I'm reinspired by her work to do even more myself. It's a vicious circle, you know. I might have to separate myself from newfound photography buddies or I won't be able bring home all the pics I have enlarged. Framing is CHEAP over here, so I have to take advantage while I can. We've also done a little painting around the villa to add some much needed color. I posted these pics to show you what a difference a little paint can make. The walls still need decorating, but the paint itself has improved the villa 100%. Yes, believe it or not, that is red that you see on my walls. I thought we'd practice on this place, before I paint back in Kyle. I posted a few "before" pictures for you. You can get a feel of how we're getting there slowly, but surely.

3 comments:

  1. OK, I'm confused. Do you have two dining tables and hutches, or is your home rearranged? lol By the way, I love the red. Now get started on those other rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guest bedroom that now has the king sized bed is painted a dark taupe, which the picture does not capture...the same color as behind the London collage. All three bedrooms are painted that color along with the foyer. The office is also painted red. The dining table is now in the center of the long rectangular room, with my sectional on one end and two love seats and a sofa on the other end. Clear as mud, now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the red. It really makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...