Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Friday, March 21, 2008

A Royal Time at ASD




We had our photo shoot for the ribbon cutting ceremony at The American School of Doha this morning. As suspected, I didn't get a lot of awesome shots but some of them will pass. Also, Sheikha Mozah was not in attendance as I had hoped, but I did meet a nice substitue. Jazi Al Thani (shortened version of a very long name) is the student body president at ASD. I approached her at the reception (even though Kristi's little voice kept screaming in my ear, "stop...stop") and asked her if it was true that she was a REAL princess. She and the Qatari boy next to her just smiled from ear to ear, with Jazi blushing a bit at the same time. She said, "Well in my country we don't have Kings and Queens, but yes, I am from the royal family." Good enough for me, "would you take a picture with me, I've never been photographed with a real princess?" She obliged with a huge smile, so I handed my camera to her Qatari friend. Then all of a sudden an older gentleman walks up and takes a picture of us as Jazi informed me that it was her dad. Wow, more royalty, it's my lucky day. He was great, he came over and got with me and Jazi as we posed for our other photography friends. He pointed out his American flag pin he had on his pocket and told me it was his first time to wear it. I in turn informed him that he should wear it everyday. Now to be completely honest these people are royalty, but I have no idea where they fall in the royal family. The truth of the matter is it doesn't really matter, as they were very warm and welcoming and a pleasure to meet. They were perfect examples of the hospitable people here in Qatar. Now, their driving skills may be another story all together! I did run into Kristi at the outdoor ribbon cutting and snapped her and her friend's picture. Now, don't go tell her about my "run in" with the family. That will be our little secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...