Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Eat Out... Who, Us?




We headed out to the souqs tonight for our evening meal. No pots banging in my kitchen, nothing new. I had read wonderful reviews about an Iranian restaurant with great atmosphere and even greater food. My kind of place. We walked around the souqs a bit before heading to eat. That's Kristi trying out her royalty look just in case the need arises. There she is getting ready for the Shriner's Convention if ever it is held in Doha. What am I going to do when she's gone? Do you think David will fill in the gap and strike a pose for me every now and then? I'm not so sure he would look that cute in a Shriner's cap. After fun pics, we headed to the restaurant around 6:30pm, whose name I'd tell you if I could only speak Arabic. The entrance was a long hallway with beautiful mosaics, murals, and colors all the way down it. It was absolutely gorgeous. At this point I didn't care if the food was good or not. The atmosphere alone was going to win me over. As we entered into the main dining area, we saw that they had majilis seating downstairs. This is the customary seating arrangement of the Arab lifestyle (so I hear). They have cushions all around on the floor and dine and visit in this fashion. We each had question marks over our heads, looking at each other deciding if we wanted to do the majilis thing or go upstairs for conventional seating. As we were discussing our options amongst ourselves, the waiter walked over and graciously made our decision for us. "Sorry, we are closed. Do not open until 7:30." Talk about burst our bubble. We were starving and didn't want to walk around for an hour, so we opted for Le Gourmet, another restaurant in the souq area. We ate outdoors where the breeze was quite warm, but nice anyway. It had been 97 degrees when we were down at the pool this afternoon, but it really didn't seem near that hot. The humidity was at 14%, so maybe that's what made the difference. Anyway, the meal was excellent and relaxing, however we do look forward to going back to the souqs one evening and trying the Iranian restaurant keeping in mind that timing is everything.

2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome hallway. Is the inside of the restaurant anything like the hallway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was divided into cubicle areas with cushions around the table. Not near as bright and colorful, a more intimate setting. Lovely, nonetheless. I'm sure you'll see inside soon enough!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...