Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dustin & Kayla...Day 5



I'm still on a high from yesterday's duning and just oh, so thankful today to be "stayin' alive". I want to to let those back in the states know that if you visit, complimentary duning will be included in your welcome package. You will not go home without it! Joan, I do exclude you and Bill on this offer, I do not want to be responsible for a heart attack! David will pay for your taxi to Villaggio Mall where you can take a nice benign ride on a gondola, while Bob and Sherry join us. Lol, no hard feelings, please. And please note all my local Qatar friends that I did say those from the states! Today, day 5, was come back to Earth day for Dustin, Kayla, and myself. For Kristi, it was senior skip day. She and her senior friends took a bus to a desert campsite for a day of 4-wheeling,fun, and sun. I was finally the first one up this morning with the kids sleeping in past 9:00am. It's about time they get to a more normal schedule. It was nice to have a lazy morning, drinking my coffee and blogging about the dune bashing. Oh, by the way, David told me that I way underestimated the size of the dunes....more like 100 to 150 feet high. The picture in yesterday's post of me and the kids on the sand was actually a dune that we had just driven down. I'll add a video of Dustin rolling down it for your viewing pleasure. Sorry, I can't get off the dunes! Anyway, we got a really late start today and just headed straight for lunch at Bateel. It was wonderful, as usual, and the fact that one of the Filipino waitresses name Edna gushed all over me when I walked in didn't hurt either. Filipinos are the most warm and welcoming people in the world, always making you feel so special and important. We spent a little time at the Corniche and then headed to City Centre Mall after lunch to see if we could find anything special. The kids love to take advantage of me when they're here. Milking me for all I'm worth and of course they did the same thing to David when he was in Austin a few weeks ago. I decide to just give them x amount of dollars to solve that problem. Now it was their problem....oh, what to spend their money on. Now, they were tighter than a drum. They did finally manage a way to spend some of it realizing that Qatari Riyals aren't going to do them much good in the states. Kayla and I found a store that we really liked. They had everything from Coach purses to incense. Dustin liked the store too, well the first 30 minutes, anyway. After that he zoned out on us not believing that we were able to spend two hours in there. We were getting on his last nerve with, "ooooh, look at how cute this is....ohhhhh, look at that". He further went on to spew that now he understands why the Islamic culture separates the men and the women. What did he expect, we had just pumped him up with a fancy concoction of avocado, peach, and strawberry juice to bribe him for a little more shopping time. He let his frustrations out when he got home with a second round of jogging and Tai Chi. David, Kayla and I topped our day off with a little Chinese food, while Dustin opted to join Kristi & her "hot" friends at Villagio. Does that surprise you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you finally turned your camera. Was really tough trying to turn my head completely sideways. Poor Larry wasn't going to be able to watch. Yes, he keeps up on your blog. Sometimes reads it before I get to it.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...