Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On the Scene in Doha



We were recently out on the streets in the older part of Doha on a Friday afternoon, heading toward the souks (market area). Wow, there were not hundreds, but thousands of people just standing and milling around. 99.9% of them were men, and I never actually saw what the other .1% would have been...not a woman to be seen for sure. As much as we (me, more so than Kristi) love to walk on the unbeaten path, I decided that it might be best for Kristi and I to avoid hitting those streets. Being white and female, our heads may as well be neon signs if we chose to do so.
While walking the streets of the souk area, we did see some interesting sites. Look closely at the picture of me (sans makeup) in front of the butcher shop. Kristi passed on the photo op, so I had to fill in. Can you see the eye balls still in tact on the head hanging? Seriously, can you imagine walking down the sidewalk and unknowingly glancing to the side and seeing these eyeballs staring back at you. And Kristi thought she was scarred for life when she saw the beef hanging at the grocery store. We then ran across a gentleman who had a sandal repair shop set up on the street corner. I did ask if I could take his picture which he easily agreed to. I hope I wasn't suppose to tip him. The man in uniform, I guess he's a roundabout cop. I'm not sure what his purpose is...decoration, perhaps? My favorite pic of that day was the three women in abayas doing the PARTY scene. I better sign off, before I get myself in trouble. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...