Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, December 3, 2007

Gumbo Doha Style

Cool fronts coming through, fall is in the air....time to get the stockpot out. When Kristi came home from school today, she could smell the aroma of onions & bell peppers cooking. "What's for dinner, Mom?" I proudly stated, "gumbo". My first stab at it on this side of the world. You know, I do cheat when I make it, though. I had Kayla bring me some Tony Chachere's Roux mix when she came for Thanksgiving, but don't tell anyone. I overheard Kristi explaining on the phone to her Lebanese friend, Stephanie, what gumbo is. Of course she had never heard of it...boudin or etouffee either. Now, Stephanie grew up in Vegas, but that's as foreign to southeast Texas as Lebanon is. Kristi was rattling off the list of ingredients in gumbo . I heard her saying, "onions, green peppers, chicken, sausage"....SAUSAGE! I laughed to myself. Is she forgetting that we live in a Muslim country where pork is outlawed. No Zummo Party Time on these grocery shelves. Can you say, turkey bacon? Yep, chopped it up & tossed it in the pot, cringing all the while. Kristi was really inquisitive about when that gumbo was going to be ready. What a rude awakening. I thought Kristi was going to fall out of her chair when she saw that turkey bacon in place of her sausage, which by the way she informed me was her favorite part of gumbo. Not in this country, sister. The truth of the matter is, it wasn't half bad. I didn't get my usual, "Thanks, Mom, it was delicious" (Kristi's canned response after EVERY meal...good or bad), but maybe she was still in shock. Ellie Mae signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...