Our five year adventure in Doha, Qatar ended June 1, 2012, but the memories will always remain. It's back to Texas where I have decided...Qatar isn't cornering the market on "quirky", as I once believed. Thanks for opening my eyes to the world, Doha!

Monday, September 3, 2007

Coffee, anyone?

Good morning everyone. Well, it's 11:57a.m. here & I'm still trying to get the cobwebs out of my head. Talked to Kayla & Dustin about 2 hours last night (until midnight) catching up on what's going on in their new domain. Dustin was hanging blinds & Kayla was taking care of the bills. Dustin painted his bedroom this weekend which was a totally scary thought for me, but rumor has it that he did a great job. This experience may be better than any college credit that they are earning this semester. I have to cut those apron strings & know that they can handle this! Shea graduated from basic training on Friday & is off to Fort Bragg, NC for "special warfare training". Nothing like that title to put his momma at ease. I spoke with him yesterday & apparently this jaunt will be more intense than basic training. They (the army) will be taking up his cell phone today & contact with the outside world will be, once again, extremely limited. As for over here in Qatarland, things are going well. We are settling in at a very slow pace this time around. Not blowin' & goin' at the rate of our last visit. Kristi & I did a "major" grocery shopping trip yesterday. Finding groceries in the American brand, then trying to find the equivalent in the Arabic brands to save money is quite time consuming. Nothing like all English on the label to make the price skyrocket. I did find a bargain on coffee, however. I found a can that was half the price of Maxwell House called Brazilio...some type of Brazilian coffee. Brazil is close to Columbia (Juan Valdez country), so it's gotta be pretty decent. Right? Wrong. After my first sip, I decided to research what the heck I was drinking. Cheapman's coffee, the article reads, "The cheaper Brazilian coffees are occasionally for sale in specialty stores, presumably to be used by consumers to save money in their private blends". So much for saving a buck. Our major grocery haul turned in to a minor one, as we didn't even have a combination of things that would make a real meal. Darn, my famous culinary skills will have to put off for another day in time. We just might have to order "Hot Chicken", not to be confused with the famous "Honk Chicken" down the street. Hot Chicken has an expansive menu to please everyone's palate. Open 24 hours daily with free delivery...you can't beat that. It ended up that we had enough on hand to crank out a nice chef salad. Unfortunate for us, there wasn't a thing in the fridge or pantry to assimilate a salad dressing. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. i'm concerned about ya'lls health. all the delivery can't be good on the gut...not that you could possibly get fat anyway MOM! i think nick is coming over later to bring more stuff and hopefully relocate all his stuff piled in the living room up to whichever room he chooses!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing your comments. Go ahead make my day, be it the good, the bad, or the ugly...